The many different fishing reel types can be overwhelming. With so many fishing reel brands dominating the marketing and fighting for your attention it is hard to know which one is the best for your money. Some brands are as great as they claim to be, but many others fall short.
No one wants to feel scammed when they make a purchase. If you want to fish, a fishing reel is necessary.
As we explore the different types of fishing reel, this article will offer information about how to find the best reel. You will know what some of the best options are when you finish reading as well as the information that you should consider when buying a reel.
A Look at the Best Beginner Reel – The Spincast Reel
One of the best types of a fishing reel for beginners is the spincast reel. While this type of reel is popular for beginners, it is not the best reel for performance. These are commonly used with children and casual anglers since they are cheap and easy to use. This is the best budget-friendly option.
Spincast reels have a closed face which helps to keep all of the components protected. The fishing line goes through the face and emerges from a hole in the top. The reel has a button that when pushed allows for the line to be unspooled. The big downsides with the reel are that the line cannot be cast far and often lacks accuracy after being cast.
Things to Know
- The spincast reel can be used for offshore fishing.
- The line capacity for most spincast reels is less than 100 yards.
- Often confused with the baitcasting reel, but they are not the same.
- The spincast is perfect for beginners or casual fishers that just like to relax.
- One of the easiest to find types of fishing reels.
A Medium to Advanced Reel Option – The Spinning Reel
The spinning fishing reel is one of the favorite types of fishing reel for many anglers. This is a good option for someone who has at least some experience. The reel is open face, which means that you can see the inner workings of the reel and it is not protected.
A spinning reel is similar to a spincast reel in that some beginners can take to it. The only problem with a beginner using a spinning reel is that they are not heavy-duty, like the spincast reel.
The spinning reel is more accurate and allows the line to be cast further. One nice feature is that when you get a line twist, it is fast and easy to solve. It never takes a lot of time to get it to work again. They are made for a lighter line and do not work well with heavy lines.
Also Read: Best Spinning Reels For Bass Fishing
Things to Know
- The best choice for an ice fishing reel is a spinning reel.
- One of the best types of fishing reel for those who are beginners, or even advanced, fishers.
- This is one of the best choices for freshwater fishing.
- The spinning reel is the perfect choice for catching saltwater fish.
- A spinning reel can be used as a surf fishing reel.
A Look at an Advanced Reel – The Baitcasting Reel
The baitcasting reel is one of the types of fishing reel that is geared towards experienced anglers. This type of reel is known for giving the fisher the most control and accuracy of any cast reel.
The spool on this reel is actually opposite that of the other two. As the line is released, the spindle rotates. The baitcasting fishing reel is the most complex reel available today.
Some problems can occur if this reel is used in the wrong way. This means that it is a good reel for those who are advanced. It should be avoided for those who are beginners.
Also Read: Best Baitcasting Reel Under 100
Things to Know
- The baitcasting reel is one of the best types of fishing reel for advanced fishers.
- The best choice of reel for heavy saltwater fish.
- Heavier lines can be used to make these great surf fishing reels.
- A very nice reel regardless of the types of fishing that you choose.
- Oftentimes, baitcasting is considered to be even more difficult to learn how to use than a fly reel.
Other Reels to be Aware Of
These three most common types of fishing reels are important, but there are also a few types of reels that you should be aware of. These include:
- Fly Reel – The fly reel is what is necessary for successful fly fishing. There are multiple types of fly reels. These include single action, large arbor, and multi-action. Most fly reels are made for freshwater fishing, but some are made for saltwater.
- It is important to not use a reel that is not made for saltwater in saltwater as it can cause damage to the components.
- Ice Fishing Reel – In addition to being able to use some of the aforementioned reels, there are specific ice fishing reels that are perfect for use with ice fishing. The line capacity is often larger as the line has to be able to hang half the depth of the water. Most ice fishing is done on freshwater as it is important to be sure that the ice is at least four to six inches thick before beginning. This type of fishing reel is specific and is not useful with other types of fishing as it is not made to cast the line but rather to drop the line.
- Trolling Reel – The trolling reel is most similar to a baitcasting reel. This is a special reel that is used to catch very large fish. It can hold heavier and thicker lines which makes it the perfect capacity.
- These reels typically feature a levelwind which makes reeling in a large catch easier but prevents the line from really being castable. It is a better reel for offshore fishing.
These reels typically feature a levelwind which makes reeling in a large catch easier but prevents the line from really being castable. It is a better reel for offshore fishing.